Call us now on 0141 309 5543
Calls will cost 2p per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge

Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates

What are EPCs?
  • Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient).
  • They let the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.
  • Once produced EPCs are valid for ten years.
  • The EPC will also state what the energy efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating.
  • Even if you rent your home, some improvements noted on the EPC might be worth your while - like switching to more energy efficient light bulbs.
Why get an EPC?

If you're selling or renting out a domestic property or commercial building, you must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce the EPC. The EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. If you already own your home, the process of getting an EPC produced can help you identify ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home. As EPCs are valid for ten years, you will then have an accurate EPC ready if you decide to sell or rent within this period (unless you improve your home subsequently, in which case you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include those improvements). From 1st April 2012, customers in England, Wales and Scotland wishing to get payments under the government's Feed-in Tariff (FIT) for solar PV will need to be able to prove that their home has an EPC rating of band D or above to receive FITs at the standard rate. You will therefore need to be able to produce your existing EPC (as long as it is less than ten years old) or obtain a new one. (Scotland ONLY - If you're selling a domestic property you will need an Energy Report (which includes an EPC) as part of your Home Report. This can only be produced by a chartered surveyor registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

Who can produce Energy Reports and EPCs?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, only accredited Domestic Energy Assessors can produce valid EPCs. Visit the Landmark website to view the energy performance certificate register and search a list of approved EPC organisations in England and Wales.

  1. one
  2. two
  3. three
Can I produce my own EPC?
No, however you can complete a survey on the Energy Saving Trust website that will give you an indication of the likely band that your property will receive.
About Us
Accredited & Trusted
Contact Us

Ecoliving is a specialist provider and award winner of micro-renewable energy solutions - heat pumps, biomass boilers, combined heat and power (CHP), underfloor heating, solar and wood burning stoves. We also offer service, repair and maintenance.

  • RECC Logo
  • MCS Approved Installer logo
  • Construction Line Logo

65 Craigton Road
G51 3EQ

T: 0141 309 5543